Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Sunday Funday

I woke up late on Sunday and lazed around a fair amount. Renzo and I tried to make plans to go to Barranco in the south of Lima, but the weather was so drizzly and almost-raining that we decided it would be a bad day to go sight-seeing. I was going to continue lazing and maybe studying some more Spanish grammar, but then my host mom and Renzo´s ex-girlfriend came to the apartment, giggling loudly and doing laundry together. Renzo and his ex had a bad breakup, so he was understandably eager to get out of the apartment and I agreed with him 100%. So we headed to a mostly-indoor mall and had an awesome time just walking around.

We found a mini amusement park and despite the decent chance we had of dying on one of these fair rides, we decided it would be really fun. For only 4 soles, or about $1.50, we went on a spinny ride that lifts you up into the air while you´re still spinning, and then whirls you all around. It was crazy. I had a wonderful time and it lasted a lot longer than I thought it would.

We were hungry and tried to go to a chifa restaurant (Chinese-Peruvian fusion food) but the waiter never came to our table. So we laughed and peaced out. Later we found another Chifa restaurant and ordered "chi jau kay" and fried wan tans with chicken in the middle. We split it so it would cost less. Amazingly, the Chinese rice tastes the same as fast-food Chinese rice in the US, but the soy sauce tastes quite different with a strong celery aftertaste.

The wan tans.

After eating, we wandered through the stores, stopping to watch people play Dance Dance Revolution and other arcade games.

I thought it was kind of sad to see this mom and her two very young boys playing a game called "Shoot like Crazy". The gun was almost bigger than the boy was, and the mom had to pick him up so he could shoot it. It was extremely gory, tons of blood, and the targets were humans.

It was Father's Day, so there were a lot of dads and kids around. Here was a parade of children in a train.

There was also a celebration with clowns!

When we got home, Renzo and I watched our pirated version of Black Swan. He didn't like it at all. I loved it so much, again. :) My eyes water uncontrollably when I'm afraid, and I was tearing up like crazy during some of the scariest scenes. :) Loved it. After that, I went right to sleep.

No comments:

Post a Comment