Saturday, June 25, 2011

Tuesday afternoon, laziness

After work on Tuesday I headed to the Cultural Center of Spain, near MHOL, to see some queer documentaries for the gay film festival. I'm not going to turn down free movies! I got a little lost and arrived 8 minutes late... and the guards wouldn't let me in. So much suckage. I decided to walk all around the area instead and possibly find some food. I walked all the way to the Parque de la Exposicion, but by the time I got there I was really sleepy and tired. I found a bus home.

One neat thing was the I asked some security guards and police officers how to get the Cultural Center and pulled out the map from the OutPeru gay film fest ad. I wonder if it crossed their mind that I might not be straight, and I was thinking about the police-initiated violence against protesters that I had read about earlier in the day. I also read that some trans women were attacked in 2010 by police for no reason. But Gian Franco is confident that there will be no police trouble at the gay pride march next week.

As I was walking around, a wrinkly old man made a loud kissing noise at me. I was pleased that I didn't look at him, flinch, or even blink, treating him like he was a ghost. I don't mind it one bit when a man on the street says something like "Good morning, senorita" or just "Hola", but cat-calls aren't as acceptable and sexual treatment from an old man is not okay with me at all. (Especially not since I watched Black Swan yesterday, which contains a scene of sexual harassment by an old man.)

I saw this awesome building covered with painted skulls. It looked like the workers were taking the paint off, so I took a picture.

I saw this sign in a printing store and asked if I could take a picture. They said yes... I probably should have told them that this is a racial slur in English. But in Spanish it is pronounced "kee-keh".

This ad near my apartment was pretty interesting. It uses women's right to decide as a way to promote a new type of menstrual pads... and all the women are still white as snow. But at least it has some message of women's choice? "Who said we can't wear tight-fitting clothing? We have the power to decide." Now buy our sanitary pads!

I have been lazy again and will have to update my blog after I get back from my ~weekend excursion~ to Paracas, Chincha, and the general Ica area. I'm not sure if I'll be able to see the Nazca lines because I'm not getting in one of the high-chances-of-death airplanes that fly over them. But some can be seen from hillsides.

1 comment:

  1. I hear a lot about the catcalling and gestures that men will make on the streets in Latin America. I hope that becomes more and more socially unacceptable as time progresses and women gain more rights & respect there.

    ReplyDelete