Thursday, June 2, 2011

June 2: First day at Inppares



The view from the house when I woke up. :) Right now when I look out the window I can see the ocean a little bit, and some islands. I'm on the 16th floor of a nice apartment building.

Today I woke up at 7:30, got a cold shower because I woke up too late to turn on the hot water properly, checked my email, and left the house at what I thought was 8:50 so I could be there by 9... but I was an hour off so I got there at 8am, haha. I walked around the area, bought a coffee, and took some photos of Inppares.

Everyone there is so nice. Carmen, a woman working in administration, showed me all around and introduced me to everyone. The clinic is quite large and basically takes up a small block. There are many different departments, including cardiology, gynecology, pediatrics, STI prevention, and different clinics for men, women, and children.

I sat with Leni in adult contraceptive counseling and we chatted for hours because only one patient came to see her. The patient was very friendly and received a contraceptive injection from the fattest needle I've ever seen. Then again, I haven't seen too many needles. The patient wanted to learn English, so we exchanged email addresses. :)






Right now I am on lunch break, which is from 1-4pm and I think it also shall include a siesta! But I wanted to do a quick blog update first because I'm going out tonight with Renzo and his friends. They are drinking today because there is no drinking on the weekend of the election (not sure if it's a law or just a tradition).  My host mom runs a food delivery service, so I am buying lunch from her. 6.5 soles, aka $2.50. Yay!

The food here is legendary and rightfully so. Definitely better than Mexico's food. Getting very close to the level of Japan's cuisine. I am getting plenty to eat and I haven't gotten sick at all from anything. Yesterday I bought a 7-liter bottle of water so I should be good for awhile.

2 comments:

  1. Do they not have daylight's savings time over there? Is that why you were an hour early?

    Take down some Peruvian recipes and bring them back with you! I love to cook, though I haven't really gotten many chances up in college.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.S. By the way, this is John Michael writing--remember that I never changed my google account name from when I set it up for my Spanish class a year-and-a-half ago and used my Spanish name. :D

    ReplyDelete