Friday, June 3, 2011

June 2: Tarde y por la noche

My lunch yesterday was amazing! Tequenos, sopa de pollo, arroz, pure de papa, and lomo saltado. REALLY tasty. Click on the photo!

My lunch break yesterday was from 1-4pm, so I took a siesta too. The clinic is only 5 minutes walking from my place, so it's really great. I spent 4-6pm with Claudia, having meetings/consultas with patients who had questions about family planning. Two people came for contraceptive injections (which look like they REALLY hurt), two couples came in, and one woman was using a patch and having difficulties with it. A lot of people came in just to chat when there were no appointments. One woman, obviously a friend of Claudia's, came to say that her father-in-law had been going to see some sort of supernatural doctor who blessed people's auras and chakras, and that he had seen some improvement in his Parkinson's that regular doctors hadn't been able to achieve. We talked about meditation and its health value. 

Last night Renzo and I decided to go out to dance in the ritzy and beautiful district of LarcoMar. We took a bus that I was sure was going to crash into everything but only costs 1 sol, and walked along the cliffsides of the beach. Right as soon as we got there, I heard someone yell, "CAROLINE!" and I turned around to see Lauren Kennedy running up to me. :D I had no idea she was here in Peru for the past four months, and we hadn't really hung out since our Spanish class freshman year. It was so awesome to see someone who knew me, by accident, in the middle of a HUGE city like Lima.

We walked back to her hostel because she was leaving at 4am, bought some drinks, and chilled at the hostel for a little while. There we met a guy named Mark who just got here at the same time he met us. In the picture are Leonardo and Julie, two very nice friends of Lauren's. 


We all left to walk to a club where we could dance for free. We had a really great time!! After dancing, we saw some funny hippies playing music on the street and took a picture with them. 


We walked near to Lauren and Mark's hostel and said a final goodbye. :( And took a cool picture. :D Lauren went back home to the US and Renzo and I took a taxi. 

2 comments:

  1. Ooh, those needles sound painful! How are the medical conditions & equipment in comparison to what you see in the United States? Better? Worse? About the same?

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is so cool how you ran into Lauren!!

    ReplyDelete