Sunday, July 10, 2011

Thursday: Inppares loves me and I love Inppares

I started off the morning in Inppares, sticking stickers to a set of pamphlets that had the wrong phone number printed on them. Juan Pedro called it "exploitation", but I like being useful in whatever way. :)

My friend, whose name I'll leave out for privacy, came in right before I started with a new set of stickers, and I immediately dropped it to go hug him. His father has brain tumors and it is a very painful situation for their family. Everyone who came by the Centro Juvenil spent at least ten minutes hugging him and letting him vent. He said he can't cry in front of his family. I was moved by his stories of his father when he was healthy, and I can't imagine having to watch someone die in pain. They are pretty sure that his father will not live much longer, and that is extremely sad. But I am more concerned about those who will be left living, because often people don't take care of themselves while they are busy taking care of someone else. So I made sure he ate lunch with us and we crammed 12 people into the tiny closet for eating. Many jokes were told and he seemed to have a great time for a little while. :) Inppares is a lot like a family, and we were all there for him today.

I went back down to keep doing stickers, but then I got called up by the boss of the boss of my boss, and she told me she had some translation work for me to do. :D I read through some legal-heavy documents about a proposal to receive up to 6 million euros from the Ministry of Foreign Relations of the Netherlands, and translated the basic ideas and requirements to the head boss. She was pleased with my work, and she hinted pretty strongly that she would like me to come back to Inppares after graduation to work here. I plan on accepting, I'm just not sure when. But they said that someone who can translate English and someone who enjoys sex education as much as I do definitely has a place here. :D

The boys at Inppares have been teaching me a ton of slang. Here's an example of a poster we saw at the MegaPlaza yesterday.

1 comment:

  1. Awww, poor guy with his Dad! It's sad when someone gets old and starts dying.

    ReplyDelete